A bug out bag is a kit which will allow you to evacuate as soon as possible in the event of an emergency scenario. It should have contents that have various uses and purposes and should still be lightweight enough to be easily carried anywhere you need to.
In this article, we will cover the must-haves for any bug out bag. This can also be a great starting point for you when you want to build up the ultimate bug out pack.
- A good quality survival knife. Make sure it has a comfortable handle with a sharp and long-lasting blade.
- Paracord. You can use any type you want as long as it is lightweight and durable.
- First aid kit. It should contain basics like alcohol, painkillers, gauze, bandages, a sling, antibiotics, and a burn gel.
- Stash of cash. The amount depends on how long you think you can survive without access to a bank.
- Identification cards, and important documents.
- Small hatchet. This can be used if you need to set up camp, fell small trees, or even for self-defense.
- A multi-purpose shovel. Shovel can be used for cleaning up the campsite and digging holes for toilet purposes.
- Flashlights. A pen light and a larger camp light will be great that way you don’t have to move the larger light around.
- Tent and hammock. Shelter is one of the most important essentials when in a survival situation. Make sure that the tent and the hammocks will be able to accommodate the number of individuals in your group.
- Lighter or a firestarter. Fire is another essential thing to start when camping out.
- Sleeping bags. Even with a tent, sleeping bags will allow you to have better sleep.
- Two-way radios. These should be distributed to every member of your group for easy monitoring.
- A multi-tool that has pliers, screwdriver, seatbelt cutter, and a pair of scissors.
- Journal notebook with pens. You can list the things you need to do. Another good idea is to have phone numbers and addresses readily listed in the journal so that if you need to contact someone, their numbers are within reach.
- Simple construction materials like screws, hammer, and nails. These can be used when building up shelter or perimeter defense.
- Set of batteries for devices and solar powered charger. If you have electronic devices, this is important.
- Water bottle and containers. Water is another essential in survival. If you think you need to survive for at least a day, you must secure a good source of water.
- Water filtration system or water purification tablets. These will come in handy when it comes to surviving for the long term. Contaminated water can lead to health hazards.
- Basic hygiene products like soap, towels, and feminine products.
- Powdered bleach. You want to keep your clothes clean to reduce the risk of any infection.
- A GPS, maps, and a compass. Navigation tools are important when you need to reach a certain location. You can also use these to easily find your bug out location.
- Extra set of clothing.
- Fishing kit. If you happen to stay beside running water, having a fishing kit will allow you to secure a source of food.
- Whistle. You can use this to signal rescuers or to catch someone’s attention.
- Bear spray. Aside from deterring bears, this can also be used for self defense.
- Mirror. A mirror has many purposes from basic hygiene, creating fire, or as a signal.
- Self-defense weapon. Having a dedicated self-defense weapon like a handgun can provide extra precaution and peace of mind especially when you’re camping out in the wild.
Being prepared is one key to surviving outdoors in emergency situations. A bug out bag can be a lifesaver during these situations.